This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency. Learn more here.
Sponsored Links

How To Apply For Food Stamps In Iowa

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a federally funded program that offers nutrition assistance to millions of eligible, low-income individuals and families. The program is run by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). If you live in this state and need to apply for a Iowa EBT Card, then the information below shows you how to apply for food stamps in Iowa. If you have additional questions or concerns about the Iowa SNAP program or the EBT application process, please contact the Iowa Department of Human Services for assistance.

Iowa Food Stamp Eligibility
The Food Assistance Program provides Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards that can be used to buy groceries at supermarkets, grocery stores and some Farmers Markets. You may qualify for Food Assistance if you:

  • Meet income guidelines
  • Be a citizen or legal immigrant
  • All children who are born in the United States can apply even if their parents are not citizens.

Before you apply, please review "Before applying for Food Assistance" document. This document gives a brief overview of what they need to process your application, why certain questions are asked, citizenship/immigration information, questions that must be answered for Food Assistance and your rights and responsibilities. Food Assistance applicants have the option to only answer the questions included on Required Questions document as they are required as a condition of eligibility. If you have questions about applying for Food Assistance, please contact your local DHS office.

Assistance Programs
To apply for the following assistance programs click here to go to the online DHS Financial Support application or click here to download the DHS Financial Support Application (or download the Solicitud de Ayuda Financiera). For help with completing your online application, please contact your local DHS Office.

  • Food Assistance
  • Child Care Assistance
  • Cash Assistance Family Investment Program or Refugee Cash Assistance
  • State Supplementary Assistance
  • Family Planning
  • Well-Child and Prenatal

Questions That Are Required to be Answered for Food Assistance
In order for your Food Assistance application to be considered, the following information must be provided for each person in your household applying for Food Assistance before benefits may be approved:

  • Your name, address and signature
  • Name of everyone in your household applying for benefits and their relationship to you
  • Birth date, SSN and citizenship status of everyone in your household who are applying
  • Income of everyone in the household

The following questions must be answered for each person in the household:

  • Are you getting Food Assistance from another state?
  • Do you have an Iowa EBT card?
  • Are you age 18 or over and in college or trade school?
  • Have you been hired for a job but not paid yet?
  • Have you quit a job in the last 30 days?
  • Are you a migrant or seasonal farm worker?
  • Are you on strike?
  • Do you get help from anyone paying your bills?
  • Do you have any cars, trucks, boats, campers, motorcycles or other vehicles?
  • Do you have or own any land, buildings or houses other than the house you live in?
  • Are you fleeing to avoid prosecution, custody, or jail for a felony crime?
  • Are you violating a condition of probation or parole?
  • Are you in or expecting to go to jail or prison?
  • Are you disqualified from a food assistance program in any State for fraud or program violation?
  • Do you have a conservatorship or trust?
  • List the total money you have in bank/credit union accounts, checking/savings, stocks etc

The following questions must be answered for the household if you are requesting a deduction:

  • How much is your rent?
  • If you pay taxes or insurance separate from your mortgage, how much do you pay?
  • Which utilities do you pay?
  • How much are your day care expenses?
  • How much do you pay for child support?
  • Enter the medical expenses for anyone who is disabled or over age 59, not paid by insurance
Find EBT Store Locations
EBT Applications In Other States
Recent Blog Posts

©2024 All Rights Reserved.